Saturday, October 2, 2010

'My Reckless Surrender' by Anna Campbell -Review-

My Reckless Surrender’ is an intriguing and sensuous read, beautifully written and diabolically addicting. You won't want to put it down! This is the first Anna Campbell novel for me, but I can assure you it won't be the last!
   Cranston Abbey has been everything to Diana Carrick for as long as she could remember. When the opportunity to become its mistress comes along, she can hardly believe it. But what must she do to obtain such a prize? Seduce and become impregnated by one Tarquin Vale, Earl of Ashcroft, that's what! What will happen to Diana once her surrender is made and her heart gets caught in the crossfire?


[Read an excerpt: here]

   Tarquin Vale works hard to mask his surprise when a veiled woman waltzes into his study, unchaperoned, and asks to become his lover. He sends her about her way, but she infiltrates his thoughts relentlessly after her departure and Tarquin begins to rethink his objections a little too late.
   Or perhaps he’s not so late after all when they ‘happen’ across each other again at a demimonde affair. This time, Tarquin won’t over play his hand. He’ll get what he wants from Diana, even if he is somewhat suspicious about her motives.
   An affair begins between the two and starts to transform into something deeper than either of them are prepared for. Tarquin has his reasons for keeping everyone in his life at a distance, but he soon finds himself pouring out his soul to the woman who’s only job was to warm him bed. Diana just wanted Tarquin’s seed in her womb so Lord Burnley would marry her and she would become mistress of Cranston Abbey.
   When Diana begins to see the genuine and honest person Tarquin turns out to be, and not the “Rake. Debauchee. Hellspawn” she originally thought he was, the guilt and remorse builds up. But she’s in too deep by this point to turn around now, and when shit hits the fan, it’s her heart that stands to lose the most.
   Her objective is reached, but she doesn’t care. She hurt Tarquin unbelievably, and now, if only to provide her unborn child a name, she must marry the man who put her up to it. “Seduction is a most dangerous game…” but with passion, understanding, and unspeakable love, it can become a game worth winning.

Rating: 4 1/2 Red Roses
My Favorite Part of the Book: Is when Tarquin ‘runs into’ Diana again at a courtesan's ball and chooses to indulge in her previous offer. Once they head out, Tarquin is so 'ready to go' that the hardly makes it to the alley behind the theater before he starts exploring Diana’s body. Diana’s isn’t a whore whose use to giving in to carnal pleasures, so when an acquaintance of Tarquin’s stumbles upon them and makes remarks to that effect, she doesn't take it lightly. Shockingly, Tarquin defends her steadfastly- even threatening to duel over Diana's 'honor'. Throughout the seduction of Tarquin, Diana tries to resign herself to the label of whore, but Tarquin immediately senses how contradictory that is and this particular scene is very foretelling.
   The choice is quite simple: In need of a great read? Pick up ‘My Reckless Surrender’ by Anna Campbell. I appreciated the development of the plot and all of the twist and turns I didn’t see coming. I am trying to rack my brain and pick out something from this book that I didn’t enjoy, but I am honestly finding it difficult! The only thing I would have liked to see would be a fleshing out of the ending. Towards the end of the book, there is a brief period where Diana let’s her dread over what she’s done consume her. With Tarquin’s support, she makes peace with what she did- but it was a bit speedy and something I wanted to see developed more (even though fleshing it out would have probably given the story a never-ending quality to it that some people don't like. I still would have liked a slower progression of Diana’s path to self-redemption. The further into the story I got, the more I became invested and had to know how it ended. I am sure you’ll feel the same way, too!

[A special thanks to the author
for sending a review copy]
*Want more Campbell? Try Captive Of Sin

1 comment:

  1. I read both books and became a great fan of Anna Campbell. I do believe that "Captive of Sin” is one of my favorite books I have read. I love the strength and perseverance that both Gideon and Charis have. They were a perfect blend! If I could rate this book...it would be off the charts!

    ReplyDelete

 

Site Beautified by Barbara ~ Back To Top