Sunday, December 5, 2010

KT Grant's X-mas Guest Post: Holiday Television Specials

It’s the most wonderful time of year for holiday television specials!

One of my favorite things during the holiday season is watching all the holiday programming that can be found on television. Every year around this time, there are a few holiday staples such as How the Grinch Stole Christmas and A Charlie Brown Christmas that air. These are both classic Christmas cartoons, but there is one much beloved holiday classic that is all my all-time favorite that still makes me laugh and smile even after watching it every December. This is the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Claymation special.


Did you know this 1972 special has aired more than thirty-one times on CBS and has been watched by countless generations? And if you ask someone about Rudolf, they will most likely mention Hermey, one of Santa’s elves who wants to be a dentist, and the Island of Misfit Toys. I’ve always wondered if the creators of Toy Story got their idea based on the Island of Misfit Toys.
Not only does Rudolf have a great soundtrack with such songs like, “We’re a Couple of Misfits”  and “Silver and Gold” sung by the late, great Burl Ives, but the story is poignant in regards about acceptance and respecting a person even though they may be different looking from the norm (Rudolf’s glowing red nose) or wanting a different path for themselves (Hermey’s desire to  become a dentist and a not make toys like his friends). There are also many laughs and other adorable characters such as The Bumble Monster (The Abominable Snow Monster of the North) who hates everything to do with Christmas, but because of Rudolf and Hermey decides to embrace the holiday.
And if I go into great detail about the Island of Misfit Toys, I may start to tear up.
Rudolf is great viewing for children as well as adults. If only I could have my own Rudolf, and Hermey as my dentist where I could vacation on the Island of Misfit Toys!

Since there are so many other holiday specials airing, what are some of your favorites?
--
And make sure you're on the look out for KT's holiday release:

'The Christmas Fantasy:
"On a mission to lose her virginity before her thirtieth birthday on Christmas Day, Mandy Lockeheart plans to seduce the only man she’s ever loved, her brother’s best friend, firefighter Jackson Montgomery. With the sexy new body she’s worked hard to earn, she’s certain she can convince him to fulfill her fantasies.
When Mandy comes to him with her sexy proposal, Jackson can’t refuse her adorable seduction. Unfortunately, Mandy’s brother doesn’t want anyone playing around with his baby sister. Jackson must choose between respecting his friend wishes and making love to his perfect Christmas present.

Between Mandy’s occasionally poor body image and Jackson’s honor, the lovers must fight to realize their Christmas Fantasy
."
[Read an excerpt: here]

*'The Christmas Fantasy' will be released from Decadent Publishing this month (I'll keep you posted)

*Head on over to Decadent Publishing's blog where KT is giving away a $20 Amazon Giftcard!!

7 comments:

  1. Most holiday specials make me break out in hives, though you've picked a sweet one to focus on. I do enjoy the Grinch Who Stole Christmas because it's such fun to listen to the narrator.

    I'm more the offbeat holiday movies. Like Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

    The book sounds great, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen: I must be the only one who has never seen The Nightmare Before Christmas. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Christmas movie junkie. When we had cable (we now stream Netflix instead and do Hulu), I would TiVo all the movies off the 25Days of Christmas on cable. We've watched Christmas movies in April. lol

    I like Little Drummer Boy, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Jack Frost....I could go on and on. There was one Hallmark (or Lifetime, can't remember) movie a few years ago for grown ups with Mario Lopez that was yummy, and any holiday-inspired movies are just cozy to watch!

    Matter of fact, my family is sitting with me RIGHT NOW on the couch and watching 'All Dogs Go To Heaven Christmas Carol' in front of the fireplace, 2 Christmas trees on in the room. :-)

    Heather @Decadent Publishing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather: I love original All Dogs Go To Heaven. Haven't seen the Christmas one though.

    And we can't forget A Christmas Story! "You'll shoot your eyes out..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are like Heather in that we are Christmas movie junkies. We love them all, in fact I have to hide them after Christmas or my kids would watch them all year long. It isn't Christmas without Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Clause is Coming to town, and Charlie Brown, and all the Mickey Mouse Christmas movies. We do have a favorite though and that is The Christmas Carol. We have seen every version and our favorites are the Mickey Mouse version, The Muppets, and our current fave the Jim Carey version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I may have noted elsewhere, Christmas shows tend to be hit or miss with me, and hit or miss hard. Either I flee from them like a vampire from crosses, or I wind up all weepy eyed and grinning like an idiot.

    Not even sure why they hit me that way. And yes, the Island of Misfit Toys gets me weepy every time. Great article!

    ReplyDelete

 

Site Beautified by Barbara ~ Back To Top